Monday, September 8, 2008

Stamp out word verification!



Back in April Allison wrote a post announcing that April 29th was Global Anti Word Verification Day. Julie had declared it so in her blog post titled Is this necessary? I was thrilled! I was finding it more and more frustrating to have to type in word verifications to make comments on blogs and often decided not to leave comments when faced with it. I was also embarrassed to admit that I had both word verification and comment moderation enabled on my blogs. After reading this posts I changed my blogs so that they no longer had word verification enabled and I haven't had any trouble with garbage coming through. I still have comment moderation enabled.

The topic has shown up in blogs again today. I read it on Heidi's post and Deanne's post. Through their posts I found this site that is offering a RAK for those that leave a comment saying they are considering changing it and this post offering blog candy to those that change it.

Maybe we should declare September to be Global Anti Word Verification Month. I know that I would be thrilled to not have to type them any more and people would be more likely to get comments from me if I didn't have to type them. They are frustrating and time consuming. If you want to protect blog from garbage comments use comment moderation instead. The blogs linked above tell you how.

2 comments:

Jean Marie said...

turned mine off...did not know I had it on, Duhhh.. :)
It is pesty isn't it !

Chris (catt871) said...

It is a pain isn't it? I will have to turn mine off - maybe I'll get more comments on my blog!!!!
Chris